I want the world to be better for everyone

I'm an economist. Now I hate economics. Don't get me wrong: it's why I am the way I am, and for that I'm thankful. Problem is this field is the study of limited resources. And this definition flies in the face of the one resource on our planet that has no limit - us. And that's only 1 unlimited resource! I want to harness these unlimited resources, because it will mean "standards of living" are also unlimited - to us! And that will mean the greed will go away. Nothing to do but blog.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

What's freedom?

The Libertarians would argue even someone starving to death, dying of thirst, etc is an indication of true freedom. I'm not kidding! I posed the question to a Libertarian colleague one day of the mentally ill person in the street with noone to take care of him/her but charity, and they're all "booked up". I asked this colleague if it's OK to just let this person die there in the middle of the street instead of setting up a catchall government program to make sure this person is cared for. HE HAD NO ANSWER! How impossibly cruel and uncivilized!

It may be freedom to my colleague, this mentally ill person getting run over, starving to death, or dying of thirst. I bet if you asked this mentally ill person, he/she would disagree, especially if they didn't want to die.

So do I. This isn't freedom. This isn't civility. Civility is basic and is nonnegotiable to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home